If you have a thing for home improvement and gardening shows, then HGTV is your go-to television channel. They recently launched a web service that is accessible via smartphones, tablets, Smart TVs, and other connected devices.
But before you can access HGTV on your preferred device, you will first have to activate it. In this article, we will show you how to activate HGTV across various devices.
Note that you require a TV provider to activate HGTV. You’ll be required to sign in to your account first before streaming. Once you sign up, you will be able to watch HGTV Go without cable.
Is the HGTV app free?
How to activate HGTV
To activate HGTV on your preferred streaming device, follow the steps below.
To activate HGTV on Roku:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
- Scroll up or down and select Streaming Channels.
- Open the Channel Store.
- Type in HGTV and select the channel.
- Press OK.
- Select Add Channel to install the app.
- After the installation, launch the app.
- You will see an activation code.
- Go to watch.hgtv.com/activate on your computer or mobile browser.
- Enter the activation code.
Ensure to follow the instructions on your device to get the activation code. You must connect your computer and Roku to the internet to get the code and activate the device.
Amazon Fire TV
If you own a Fire TV, here is how to activate HGTV:
- Press the Home button to go to the Home Screen.
- Select the Search bar or magnifying glass icon.
- Enter the term HGTV.
- Download and install the app.
After installing the app:
- Launch the app on your device.
- If you see an activation code, go to watch.hgtv.com/activate.
- Enter the code and click on Activate.
You will have to select your TV provider and sign in to your account to complete the activation.
Activate HGTV on Apple TV through these steps:
- Open the App Store app on your Apple TV.
- Search HGTV.
- Select the app.
- Select Get.
- Sign in with your Apple ID to download if you have not logged in.
- After installing, open the app.
- Copy the activation code.
- Go to watch.hgtv.com/activate.
- Enter the code.
You can now complete the activation by following the on-screen prompts.
To cast HGTV shows with Chromecast from your phone or tablet here is what you should do:
- Download the HGTV app from an application store.
- Plug your Chromecast into your connected TV.
- Choose the Chromecast device where you want to watch the content.
- Once done, click Cast.
Note that you will have to activate the device before proceeding.
What devices stream HGTV?
HGTV is compatible with iPhones, iPads, Android phones, Roku, Fire Stick, and tablets. Your device must have the latest operating system for a great viewing experience.
You can stream also HGTV on your laptop or desktop through a web browser. The supported browsers are Chrome v43 and later, Firefox v38 and later, Safari v7+, and Internet Explorer v11+.
HGTV activation code is not working? What to do
If the activation code is not working, you can fix it as follows:
- Uninstall the app from your device and reinstall it. Once done, you will get a new activation code.
- Check to ensure you have entered the correct code combination.
- Check whether the code has expired.
- Confirm whether your TV account has expired.
Alternatively, contact HGTV support for further assistance. Go to the Settings Menu on the app and choose Contact US/Send Feedback.
HGTV Go app is not working? How to fix
If the app is not working, consider the following:
- Clear the app cache and data.
- Check to ensure you are using the latest version of the app.
- Ensure you have a stable internet connection.
- Ensure you are streaming the service from inside the USA.
- Uninstall and install the app, and then try again.
- Power-cycle your device and try again.
The app can also stop working because HGTV is experiencing a system-wide issue. You will have to wait until the service fixes it.
Is HGTV free on Amazon Prime?
You can watch most HGTV programs on Amazon Prime with a subscription. In other words, you require an Amazon Prime subscription to stream HGTV shows and episodes.
It is worth noting that this is one of the best options for watching HGTV without cable.
Is HGTV Go free on Roku?
HGTV is available as a free app on Roku. However, you require a TV subscription to watch its live stream and TV shows.
You will have to sign in with your TV provider before you can enjoy shows such as Flea Market Flip, Flip or Flip, My Lottery Dream Home, and more.
Enjoy Fixer Upper & other shows
You can stream HGTV on Android, iOS, Roku, and other connected devices. But before you can enjoy its programs, you require a subscription to a TV provider.
Alternatively, you can sign up for HGTV and watch some episodes for free. Also, you will have to activate the service on your device to continue streaming.
Related activation guides