HBO GO is one of the best streaming services that allow users to enjoy instant and unlimited access to HBO shows, movies, sports, comedy, and documentaries. To use the service, you need an HBO subscription through a participating television provider.
You’ll also need the password and username to your TV provider’s account. When you have both, your next step will be to complete an HBO GO activation.
Activating the service is a straightforward process. In most cases, the activation will depend on the type of device you are using (Smart TV, Xbox, Roku, Apple TV, etc.).
If you are using Apple TV, here is a specific guide. Here are the steps to follow, depending on the device you’re using.
How to activate HBO GO on Smart TV
To activate HBO GO on Smart TV, follow these steps:
- Open the HBO GO app on your Smart TV
- Select “Connect your provider account.”
- Follow the prompts on the screen to begin
- Go to hbogo.com.com/activate from your computer or any internet browser
- Or, use your mobile phone to scan the QR code displayed on your TV
- If you are using the URL, enter the HBO GO activation code displayed on your TV screen
- If you are using the QR code and you have the app installed on your mobile device, log in to the account. Once logged in, your TV will activate automatically after scanning the code
For the URL, the next step will be to choose your TV provider. You will then have to enter the password and username for your provider’s account.
Activate HBO GO on Roku
To activate the service on Roku:
- Open the HBO GO channel or go to the Roku store to download and install the app
- Once started, click on Activate your Device
- Go to hbogo.com/activate from a browser
- Choose Roku
- Click Continue
- Choose your current TV provider from the list
- A screen will appear requesting you to enter the provider’s username and password
- After signing in, an activation page will appear
- Enter the activation code displayed on your TV screen
You will see a message that reads, “Your device has been successfully linked to your hbogo.com account.”
Activate on mobile devices
You can also activate the service from your computer or mobile device through the steps below.
- Download and install the HBO GO app
- Open the app and sign in to your account
- Select your TV provider e.g. DirecTV
- Sign in to your TV provider’s account
- Create an HBO GO ID by following the on-screen information
After creating the ID, tap on Save and start watching any content you want.
You can use the same steps to activate HBO GO on your iPhone. Note that the steps above are the same for activating HBO GO from your computer.
The difference, however, is that you can complete the steps by visiting hbogo.com and then sign in to your premium account.
Set up and activate a Device
If you want to activate HBO GO on any device, simply follow the steps outlined here:
- Ensure you have an active HBO GO account
- Log in to the account
- Once logged in, click on the pencil icon
- Click on the tab to add HBO GO to a device
- After making your selections, click on Save
Note that you can only activate up to three devices.
Watch HBO Anywhere!
You cannot activate HBO GO if you do not have a participating TV provider. Also, you must have an active subscription to complete the process.
If HBO GO activation is not working, the fastest solution is to contact the streaming service or your TV provider.