Netflix has an offline storage feature, also known as the Download feature, that allows users to download their favorite shows and watch them later.
That means you can watch a TV series even if you do not have cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection.
Although you can download movies from Netflix and watch them offline, the streaming service does not allow you to store all content offline. It is why some shows are not available for download.
Furthermore, you can only save a maximum of 100 titles to one device at any given time.
The most practical way of watching Netflix content offline, like on a plane, is to use its app, irrespective of your device’s operating system.
But that is not the case with Mac owners because they can only use the browser to stream movies and TV shows. However, that does not mean you cannot watch Netflix movies offline on a Mac.
This handy guide will help you to activate the offline feature on Netflix on any device you are using.
How to watch Netflix offline on Chromebook
You can stream Netflix on Google Chromebook or Chromebox computers via the Chrome browser. If your device can download content from Google Play Store, you can also stream from the official Netflix app.
If you want to watch Netflix offline on Chromebook:
- Go to the Google Play Store and download the Netflix app.
- Wait for the app to install in your Chromebook.
- After installation, open, or launch the app.
- Sign in to your account in the spaces provided.
- Find a movie or TV series you want to watch.
- Alternatively, open the Menu and select Available for Download.
- A list of movies will appear.
- Select one that suits you.
- Below the video’s synopsis, you should see the Download button.
- Click on the button to start downloading the movie.
- You will know you have downloaded the file when a blue box with a tick appears.
- Go to My Downloads and locate your video.
At this point, you should be able to open the video and start watching offline. Here’s a video showing the exact process from minute 1:37:
How to watch Netflix offline on Windows 10
If you have a Windows 10 PC or tablet, the following is how you can watch Netflix without the internet by following these tips:
- Go to the Microsoft Store and download the Netflix app.
- Launch the app after it completes to download and sign in to your account.
- Click on the Menu button and select Available for Download.
- A list of movies or shows available for download will appear.
- Pick a film or series and click on the download icon.
- A notification will appear at the bottom of your screen showing the file is downloading.
- After the download, click on the Menu button and select My Downloads.
The option will allow you to view and access all videos you have downloaded to your computer and start watching them offline.
How to watch Netflix offline on Mac
The streaming service does not have a standalone app for Mac computers. That makes it challenging for users to download their favorite movies or shows and watch them offline.
Therefore, the only way you can watch Netflix offline on Mac is by using a third-party application. An excellent example is Boot Camp.
Here is what to do:
The first step is to install Windows 10 on your Mac using the Boot Camp Assistant included in the Mac.
- Open Boot Camp Assistant on your Mac. You will find it in the Utilities folder of your device’s Applications folder.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Boot Camp.
- Where inserting a UBS drive is necessary, plug it into the Mac. Boot Camp Assistant will create a bootable drive for the installation of Windows 10.
- If asked to set Windows partition size, ensure to give at least 128GB of storage space.
- After Boot Camp Assistant finishes the installation, the Mac will restart the Windows Installer.
- Install Windows in the BOOTCAMP partition, and then click Format.
- From this point, follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows 10.
- After installing windows, your Mac will start up in Windows 10.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install Windows and Boot Camp drivers.
- Restart your computer.
- After restarting in Windows 10, go to the Microsoft Store and download Netflix.
Follow the instructions in Step Two above to watch Netflix on Mac without the internet. Alternatively, you can use this method:
How to watch Netflix offline on Android
If you have an Android smartphone or tablet, you can download select movies and TV shows using the Netflix app and watch them offline later without Wi-Fi or data.
Do the following:
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Search Netflix and install the app.
- After the installation, launch the Netflix app.
- Log in to your account.
- Select any movie or TV show that is available for download.
- Tap on the download icon to save the file on your device.
- After the download, tap on the Download tab on the bottom right of your screen to access your movie.
You can now stream offline without data or Wi-Fi on your Android device.
However, note that some movies do not have the download button, therefore, they can’t be downloaded.
How to watch Netflix movies offline on iPhone
If you own an iPhone, you can enhance your offline viewing on Netflix by using the following methods.
- Download the latest Netflix app from the Apple App Store.
- Install the app on your device.
- Launch the application and log in to your account.
- Tap on the Menu tab and select Available for Download.
- Pick a movie or a show that interests you.
- Tap on the download icon (an arrow pointing downwards with a horizontal line).
- Allow the download process to end.
- Go to the menu and select My Downloads to access the video.
To play the movie offline, tap on it, and select the play button.
How to use the Smart Downloads feature on Netflix
All the steps above will allow you to download movies on Netflix manually and watch them offline. But if you want to automate things, use the Smart Downloads feature.
With this feature, the streaming service will delete all episodes you have already watched and download more videos so that they are ready for you.
After downloading a show, go to My Downloads and select Smart Downloads. Use the toggle to turn the option ON or OFF. Understand that the feature will only work on Wi-Fi networks.
Whenever you save Netflix offline, you will be able to watch movies and TV shows without cellular data or a Wi-Fi connection. But first, you will have to download a select number of videos before you can watch them offline.
If you are a Mac user, the only way of watching your favorite shows offline is by using a third-party application like Boot Camp.