If you have Apple TV, you need its remote to control it easily. But that may not be possible if you have lost the remote or it is broken. It can even be more challenging when you experience a problem with the device.
For example, the TV fails to respond after restarting. For some of these problems, you will have to figure out how to reset Apple TV without a remote.
Luckily, there are many ways of controlling your Apple TV without a remote, even if your Apple TV is frozen. That will allow you to reset the device or restart it.
You can also unplug the power cord and plug it back in to give you a temporary fix.
What you need to reset Apple TV without a remote
But if you are unable to reset Apple TV 4K because you do not have a remote, first understand the following:
- You need a stable internet connection
- It is helpful to have an iOS device
- You need an iTunes account
- You need a computer
Once the above is in place, use the following methods to restore Apple TV without a remote.
1. Use the Remote App for iOS devices
You can control your television using your iOS device and reset it if it keeps freezing. To get started:
- Ensure you have connected your Apple TV to your television
- Power on the device and connect it to your Wi-Fi network
- If you have not set up your new Apple TV, plug it into your Wi-Fi router using an Ethernet cable
To complete setting up Apple TV without remote, set up your iOS device to start controlling Apple TV.
- Connect the iOS device to the same Wi-Fi network as the Apple TV
- Next, you need to add Apple TV Remote to Control Center
- Open the Control Center
- Tap on the Apple TV icon
- Select your Apple TV
- Enter the four-digit code displayed on the Apple TV to your iOS device
- Next, using the Remote Control Center application, go to Settings
- Tap on Systems or General depending on your Apple TV model
- Select Reset
When you tap on Reset, it will allow you to reset Apple TV to factory settings. You will then be able to operate Apple TV without a remote on HD.
It also works for 3rd generation and 4K models.
2. Use your Computer
You can hard reset Apple TV on your computer using the iTunes app. Here is how.
- Unplug all cables from your Apple TV. That includes the HDMI cord and power cable
- Open iTunes on your computer (Mac or PC)
- Use the original USB cable to connect your device to the computer. Use the USB-C cord or micro USB cable for 4K and 3rd generation models, respectively. Once done, connect the power cable.
- You will see the device flashing
- On iTunes, find the Apple TV icon
- Go to Summary
- Select Apple TV
- Tap on Restore Apple TV
A pop-up message will appear informing you that the Apple TV factory reset process is successful.
3. Connect Apple TV to Wi-Fi without remote
If you want to connect Apple TV to Wi-Fi without a remote, follow the steps below:
- Set up your Apple TV by connecting the Ethernet cable
- Download and install the Remote application on your iOS device
- Using the application, go to Settings
- Tap on General
- Select Remotes
- Learn Remote
- Tap on Start
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Allow the process to initiate the remote signals and pair up both devices. If the process is successful, your Apple TV will have a new remote. Next:
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the Apple TV
- Using the new remote, go to Wi-Fi settings
- Set up your Wi-Fi normally
The device will configure your TCP/IP.
If you want to reboot Apple TV without a remote, unplug the device from the power source and then plug it back in. You can also use your iOS device to control your Apple TV.
In case you want to reset the TV and you do not have an iOS device, you can use iTunes on your computer and initialize the process.