Twitch is primarily designed for streaming and watching live content over the internet. But there are times when downloading a video to watch offline makes more sense.
It could be a VOD that you haven’t watched yet and it is about to expire. Or you could be traveling to a place with a poor internet connection and you would like to save videos for watching offline.
Whatever the reason you have to download Twitch videos for offline viewing, the good news is that it is possible to do so.
There are several ways to download past broadcasts from Twitch. These methods fall into two major categories -those that use in-built Twitch tools and those that require an external tool.
While the first category is applicable to a select set of videos, namely Video-On-Demand, the second category can download almost any clip.
It is essential to check with the Twitch terms and conditions to find out if the method you are using abides with their legal terms.
With that out of the way, here are 4 ways to download videos from Twitch streams for watching offline.
How to download Twitch videos for offline watching
Use any of these methods to download videos from Twitch:
1. Using the built-in Twitch video downloader
After every stream, Twitch videos are saved on the platform so that streamers and viewers can access them later. However, VODs usually expire after some time.
For a streamer with a regular account, a Twitch VOD will expire in 14 days. Those with a Twitch Partner account will enjoy VODs for about 60 days.
Finally, those with a Twitch Affiliate account will be able to access their VODs for about 14-60 days.
Before your hard work gets deleted from Twitch servers, you can follow these steps to download and store it for offline use.
- Log in to your Twitch account
- Go to the dropdown menu on the top right side, just next to your profile name and pic, and click Settings
- Select Channel and Videos on the settings menu that appears
- Scroll down to Channel Settings and look for Automatically Archive my broadcasts. This option allows all videos on your channel to be saved as VODs.
- Go back to the menu and select Video Producer
- Select Past Broadcast on the dropdown on the page and wait for the videos to populate
- Select Download under thumbnails for each video
This method will only allow you to download videos from your own channel. If you need to download another streamer’s video, you’ll have to follow any of the following methods.
2. Downloading videos using Twitch Leecher
Twitch Leecher is a third-party app that allows you to save videos from Twitch for offline watching. One good thing about this app is its simple and practical user interface.
If you are wondering whether the app is safe to use, the answer is yes. Since you are more interested in using the app to download videos, let’s go directly into the procedure.
- Go to Twitch Leecher on Github (here) using your PC
- Scroll down to assets and select a compatible installer i.e x86 if you have a 32-bit PC or x64 if you have a 64-bit PC.
- Wait for the installer to complete, then double click on the app to install and launch it
- Follow the installation wizard and the launch Twitch Leecher
- On the app, click Search
- Select New Search at the bottom of the screen
- Open your preferred internet browser, open Twitch, and select your preferred videos. You can do this by clicking Videos once you are in any Twitch streamer’s channel.
- Right-click on any VOD you’d like to download and select the Copy link address. In other browsers, it will be a Copy link or Copy link location.
- Go to Twitch Leecher and paste the URL into the Search field
- Click the Download button that appears next to the video you want to download
- You can then change the resolution of the video or choose a preferred storage location and then click Download.
Here’s a video tutorial of the same:
This method is efficient since Twitch Leecher is updated frequently and it isn’t laggy.
However, if you hate the idea of downloading additional software to your computer or if you are using a Mac, you’d be more comfortable using online video downloaders that support Twitch.
The following method also supports Mac.
3. Using 4K Video Download to download Twitch streams
4K Video Downloader is a light program for downloading videos for offline watching.
Unlike Twitch Leecher, the use of this software isn’t restricted to Twitch only. Besides, it supports Mac, Windows, and Ubuntu.
To download videos using 4K Video Downloader:
- Go to this page to download the 4K Video Downloader, then double click to install it on your computer.
- Open your browser and select any live stream on Twitch
- Copy the stream’s URL in the address bar. You can also right-click on any stream and copy its link
- Open 4K Video Downloader
- Find the Search box at the top and paste in your video URL
- Wait for the program to parse the video URL
- Click the Download button once the URL has been parsed
If you are downloading a video that is being streamed, you can choose to stop recording at any point.
You can now enjoy watching the video offline and in your preferred format.
4. Using ClipDown video downloader
ClipDown allows you to download high-quality videos from Twitch fast. It is one of the few downloaders that can download 4K and 8K videos from your favorite channels right to your PC or Mac.
With this software, you have the option of downloading videos and converting them into your preferred format. Some of the available formats include MP3, MP4, MKV, WAV, and AVI.
To download a video from Twitch using ClipDown video downloader:
- Download ClipDown video downloader then follow the installation wizard to install it on your PC or Mac.
- Launch Twitch on your browser and click on a video that you would like to download
- Copy the URL of the video
- Open ClipDown and paste the URL
- Choose your preferred output quality
- Select the folder where you would like to save the video
- Click Download to save the video to your PC or Mac
The above methods cater to all groups of users who are using Twitch, whether you are using a Mac or Windows PC. Enjoy your downloads and don’t forget to share these tips to help many others.