The best way of fixing a Samsung TV remote that is not working is to identify the primary cause of the problem. For example, you may notice that a button is not responding when you press it.
The remote may also fail to pair with the TV, or the sensor is not working. Unless you know what is causing the issue, it will be challenging for you to troubleshoot or fix it.
Technically, there are only four things that can cause a Samsung TV remote to stop working well. These include bad batteries, an electronic issue in the device, a defective remote, and a defective faulty sensor on the TV.
To diagnose the problem, the first thing you should check is the battery. Start by replacing the batteries, cleaning the upper edges of the remote, and checking the terminals. If the problem persists, try any of these fixes.
Ways to fix a Samsung TV that is not responding to the remote
If your Samsung TV won’t respond to the remote, follow these troubleshooting tips:
1. Restart your TV
Restarting your TV will refresh the system and allow you to start anew.
- Turn off the TV.
- Unplug it from the power source.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Plug the TV back into the power socket.
Try to turn it on using the remote and see what happens.
2. Perform a digital camera test
A digital camera test helps you to determine whether the infrared on the remote is working.
- Turn on your phone camera.
- Aim the remote at the lens of the camera.
- Press a button on the remote.
- The Infra-Red eye of the remote should flash on the camera screen to indicate the remote is working.
If the remote is working, the issue is in the remote sensor on the TV. But if it does not work, then the remote is defective. Consider replacing it.
How to fix a Samsung TV remote sensor that is not working
Troubleshoot the remote sensor by checking for any obstruction between the remote and the sensor on your TV. If an object is between the two, it will block the infrared signal.
You will also need to restart your TV and try again. Follow the steps outlined above.
If you’ve tried these steps but the sensor doesn’t work, return the TV to the seller if it is under warranty. If not, find a reliable technician who is specialized in Samsung TVs.
Troubleshooting a Samsung Smart TV remote touchpad
Sometimes the touchpad on the Samsung Smart Touch Remote can lose its sensitivity. The issue can occur because of constant changes in the calibration level.
A better way of resolving it is to recalibrate the Smart Touch Remote.
- Press and hold the NUMBER key for three seconds.
- The calibrating will begin.
- After the calibrating, the LED on the remote will blink twice.
Throughout the calibration process, avoid touching the touchpad. In some cases, you might have to calibrate the touchpad from time to time if the issue keeps recurring.
However, if the remote fails to work completely, then it is best to get a good replacement remote that is compatible with your TV. Alternatively, you can use the Omaic universal remote for all Samsung TVs.
How to fix a Samsung remote that is not pairing
You can fix a remote that is not pairing by resetting it. Here is a procedure you should follow:
- Take the batteries out. Consider using new ones, if possible.
- While the batteries are out, hold the power button for at least 20 seconds.
- Release the power button.
- Reinsert the batteries.
- Hold down the Play/Pause and back buttons to initiate the re-link process.
- Point the remote to the sensor on the TV.
- Press and hold the Return and Play/Pause buttons simultaneously for at least three seconds.
Your Samsung TV will start syncing with the remote. You will see a message indicating you have connected the remote to your TV.
What if your remote is blinking red light?
When your Samsung TV remote is not working and starts blinking red, you can try to fix it in several ways:
- Restart the TV as outlined in step one above.
- Pair the remote again, as shown in step four above.
If the above does not work, reset the remote. Start by removing the batteries from the compartment.
Press the Power button for eight seconds. Reinsert the batteries and try using the remote.
When your Samsung TV remote is not working, you can troubleshoot or fix the problem in several ways. Start by replacing the batteries, cleaning the upper edges of the remote, and checking the terminals.
Alternatively, consider pairing the remote again if you experience issues with the red light flashing. Also, you can fix a touchpad that is not functioning by calibrating the device from time to time.
You may also like: