Spotify is currently one of the most popular music streaming sites in the market.
One of the top reasons many love Spotify so much is that you can keep tabs on the songs that your friends, family, and even strangers are jamming to.
To be able to do this, you have to add them as followers. Noteworthy, everyone’s profile is public by default.
The privacy problem comes in when unwanted strangers start following your profile and accessing your personalized playlists.
Unfortunately, despite the public outcry for a solution or the ability to be able to remove followers on Spotify, it is still not possible.
The Spotify team stated that you can vote on the block followers on Spotify complaint on their site, and they will consider adding the feature.
Almost ten years since the voting began and nothing has been done so far.
So, in the meantime, consider applying the hacks below to make your profile as private as it can get and hopefully wade off the creeps.
Limit sharing data
To limit the amount of data Spotify shares with other users:
- Open Spotify on your laptop, computer, or smartphone browser and log in. Note that the app doesn’t have these features.
- Click on your profile picture, which should be on your top right side.
- Select the Settings icon.
- Go to Make my new playlists public option and make sure it is turned off. You will need to repeat this step every time you curate a new playlist.
- Turn on Start a private session to listen anonymously.
Note that a session ends whenever you close Spotify, so you will have to repeat this step whenever you reopen the app again.
Make your old playlists private
To make already existing playlists private:
- Open Spotify on your computer or web browser and log in.
- Select the Playlist icon, and all your playlists will appear on the left side of the screen.
- Find a playlist you want to keep private, then click it to open
- Click on the three dots right at the top of the list directly under the cover art.
- Now select the option Make Secret.
You should then repeat the process for all the playlists you want to make private.
Hide recently played songs
You can also hide your history on Spotify as shown below:
- Open your Spotify app on either your phone or laptop and log in.
- Click on the Settings icon, which should be visible on your homepage.
- If you are using a phone, scroll to Recently Played Artists and turn it off.
- If you are using a laptop, click on Share My Listening Activity and make sure it is turned off.
Change your display name
Though you cannot remove someone from your Spotify account, you can change your display name and hope they never find your profile again. To do this:
- Open the Spotify app on your phone or tablet. Your computer or web browser will not work for this particular step as it doesn’t have some features.
- Click on the Settings icon and tap View Profile.
- Click Edit Profile directly under your display name.
- Set a different display name and save it before exiting the screen.
You can neither block nor make someone unfollow you on Spotify. You cannot remove followers on Spotify either but you can always use the tips above to improve your privacy.
More from StreamDiag