In this guide, we’ll discuss why Apple TV keeps freezing on Samsung TV and the steps you should take to fix the issue.
Users who encounter this problem say it only occurs on Apple TV, and the other streaming services work well. In other cases, Apple TV freezes and displays an error message – Video Unavailable.
In such situations, it can be challenging to pinpoint why Apple TV is not working on Samsung TV. We’ll take you through these steps.
Why is Apple TV freezing on Samsung TV?
Apple TV is mainly freezing on Samsung because of several factors. They include:
- A bug in the app.
- Apple TV servers are down.
- The app is outdated.
What to do when Apple TV keeps freezing
If Apple TV freezes on Samsung TV, try the following:
1. Reset your Samsung TV
The first thing you should do when Apple TV freezes on your Samsung TV is to reset the device. A soft reset shuts the TV down and reboots it rather than placing it into standby mode.
As a result, it can help solve issues you may have with apps, especially when apps keep freezing.
You can reset your Samsung TV as follows:
- Hold the power button on your TV remote for over five seconds.
- Alternatively, unplug the TV from the power outlet for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and then turn it on.
Once done, open Apple TV and see if it freezes again.
2. Delete Apple TV and download again
Sometimes, it is better to delete an app when it is not working well in order to clear problematic data.
Therefore, when Apple TV keeps freezing on Samsung TV, consider removing it from the device and downloading it again.
Deleting the Apple TV app also ensures you download an updated app with all bugs fixed.
- Open the Smart Hub by pressing the Home button on your Samsung remote.
- Select Settings or the gear icon.
- Go to the Support section and select Device Care.
- After the TV scans, select Manage Storage.
- Find and select the Apple TV app.
- Select Delete.
- Confirm your option by selecting OK.
- A status bar will appear, showing the deletion progress.
- Once the status bar reaches 100%, select OK.
The Apple TV app should no longer appear on your Samsung TV. But after deleting it, you must download and install it again.
Here is how:
- Press the Home button on your Smart Remote.
- Go to the Apps section.
- Select Apple TV to install.
- If Apple TV is unavailable, use the search bar to search for it.
- Once done, press the Select button, then move to the detailed information screen.
- Select Install.
- After the installation, a menu to Open the Apple TV app or Add to Home will appear.
If you press Add to Home, the option will add Apple TV to your Home Screen. If you press Open, Apple TV will open immediately.
Check whether the app freezes after installing it anew.
3. Update the software on your TV
Updating the software on your Samsung TV ensures you receive the best performance, including app optimization, overall security, bug and glitch fixes, and picture and sound enhancements.
You can update your Samsung TV automatically by doing the following:
- Go to Menu.
- Select Settings.
- Select Support.
- Go to Software Update.
- Select Auto Update.
- Turn Auto Update ON.
After turning the option on, it will automatically install updates to your TV.
You can also update your TV manually by doing the following:
- Go to Menu.
- Select Settings.
- Go to Support.
- Select Software Update.
- Select Update Now.
Your Samsung TV will download and install new updates. You must have a stable internet connection to download updates to your Samsung TV.
Once you have installed the updates, open Apple TV to see if the freezing has stopped.
4. Update the Apple TV app
Apple TV keeps freezing on Samsung TV because it is outdated and incompatible with the newest features added. Therefore, update the app to see if the freezing stops.
You can automatically update apps on your Samsung Smart TV by doing the following:
- Press the Home button on your Samsung remote.
- Select Apps.
- Move the cursor to the Settings icon.
- Press Enter.
- Keep the cursor on Auto update.
- Press enter to enable the function.
All the apps on your Samsung TV, including Apple TV, will auto-update.
5. Reset the Smart Hub
Resetting Smart Hub on a Samsung Smart TV can help solve issues like unresponsive apps, network connectivity, and other software-related problems.
Before resetting, set Samsung TV on Live TV or a HDMI input because you cannot reset the Smart Hub when inside the Smart Hub or in an app.
- Press the Home button on your remote.
- Go to Settings.
- Go to All Settings.
- Select Support.
- Choose Device Care or Self Diagnosis.
- Select Reset Smart Hub.
- Enter your TV PIN.
- The default PIN is 0000.
Your Smart Hub is now reset.
When you reset the Smart Hub, Samsung TV will initialize all downloaded apps, including Apple TV.
However, the option will wipe out user accounts and settings from the apps and revert all Smart Hub settings to the factory default.
After the reset, you must set up your TV by pressing Home and Setup. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up the TV.
You should then wait for Apple TV to download to your Samsung TV and give it at least ten minutes before opening the app again to see if the freezing stopped.
6. Contact Apple Support
If the freezing has not stopped even after doing everything to fix the issue, contact Apple support for assistance.
It may also be necessary to repair your TV if everything fails. In that case, contact Samsung support to request a repair for your device.