You have been streaming Apple TV on your Vizio TV without any issues. Suddenly, you notice that the content refuses to stream, and Apple TV freezes.
When Apple TV freezes on Vizio, it becomes unresponsive and fails to load content. You will also notice some stuttering during playback, causing the video or audio to lag or skip.
Sometimes, your Vizio TV will display an error message or crash and exit back to the home screen.
So, how do you fix Apple TV freezing on Vizio Smart TV? Try the following solutions one at a time to see which one works for you.
1. Check your network connectivity
Apple TV will freeze if you have poor network connectivity. Therefore, ensure your Apple TV is connected to a stable network with the recommended download speed. Do the following:
- Press the Menu button on your VIZIO remote.
- Select Network.
- Select Network Test or Test Connection.
Your Vizio TV should display the download speed when testing. The recommended speed is 1.5 Mbps.
You should also see an indication that the TV is connected to the internet. Otherwise, the TV is not connected to a network.
Troubleshoot further as follows:
- Move the router closer to your Vizio TV to improve the signal strength.
- Power cycle your router by unplugging it from the power outlet, waiting for ten seconds, and then plugging the device back in to see if your TV will pick up a connection.
- Use Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet and vice versa.
- Check if other devices can access the internet. If they do, restart your Vizio TV.
You can also contact your ISP for further assistance.
2. Check for an error code
Sometimes, when the Apple TV app is not working on your Vizio TV, it displays an error code or message.
For example, if you see error code 1021, you will also see the error message – an error has occurred loading this content.
The issue may appear when your streaming device cannot load your selected content.
Possible causes include a server issue, poor network connectivity, or a malfunction on Apple TV. Try the following:
- Ensure you have a stable internet connection.
- Check if Apple has a system-wide issue. Use Apple support, X, or third-party websites like Downdetector to verify.
- Close the app and restart it.
You can also power-cycle your Vizio TV and restart your Apple TV app to see if the freezing stops.
Here’s a list of Apple TV errors and how to troubleshoot and fix each issue.
3. Check the power and connections
Apple TV may freeze, causing your Vizio TV to display a black screen if there’s a loosely connected power cable.
In that case, check for power and connections or perform a hard reset of your TV.
- Turn OFF your Vizio TV and unplug it from the socket.
- Press and hold the TV’s power button for 30 seconds.
- Release the power button and plug the television back in.
If the black screen persists or you notice Apple TV is freezing with no picture, the problem could be a hardware issue.
A black screen can occur if the power or T-Con board in your Vizio TV is damaged. Therefore, enlist the services of a professional to help you replace the T-Con board.
4. Reset the Apple TV app
When you notice the Apple TV app glitching on your Vizio TV, try resetting it to see if it works again.
- Close and open the Apple TV app.
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Reset.
- Select the Reset option.
Resetting Apple TV restores it to its original settings, meaning it will erase all information from your library, including your personal information, TV shows, and movies. It is only advisable as your last approach.
5. Power cycle your TV
You can power cycle your TV if Apple TV freezes on Vizio. Power cycling helps reset the Vizio Smart TV and resolves issues causing it to malfunction, including unresponsiveness, bugs, and freezing.
- Unplug the power cord from the back of your Vizio TV or the wall outlet for 5 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord and turn on the TV.
- Alternatively, use your remote and go to Menu > All Settings or System > Reset & Admin > Soft Power Cycle.
Once your TV powers back on, launch Apple TV to see if the freezing stops.
If this process doesn’t work, check the HDMI connection and ensure the cable is not loose or damaged.
Alternatively, if using an external device, ensure you have set the TV to the correct input source.
You can use the remote to select the input source corresponding to the device you are trying to connect to the TV.
6. Update the Apple TV app
Apple TV sometimes freezes on the Vizio Smart TV because you’re running an outdated app. Update Apple TV to see if it fixes the problem.
- Press the input button on your remote.
- Select the SmartCast input or press the V button or Home key near the centre of your remote.
- You will see the Apps and Inputs row.
- Highlight and select Home Screen Apps.
- Locate the Apple TV app and update it on your SmartCast home screen.
You can now open Apple TV and start afresh.
7. Perform a factory reset on your Vizio TV
Sometimes, the best solution to the constant freezing of Apple TV is to factory reset the device.
A factory reset will erase everything on your TV, including settings, apps, and personal information.
Depending on the Version of your Vizio TV, you can use any of these methods to reset:
- Go to Menu > Admin & Privacy > Reset to Factory Settings.
- Go to Menu > System > Admin & Privacy > Reset to Factory Settings.
- Go to Menu > All Settings > Admin & Privacy > Reset to Factory Settings.
After a factory reset, download and install the Apple TV app. Ensure you connect the device to the internet and open the app to see if the freezing stops.