Learn how to connect a Vizio TV to Wi-Fi without a remote control, so you can start streaming your favorite TV shows in no time.
It’s easy to connect a Vizio TV to the internet if you have a remote control. But if you don’t have one, you have to consider the alternative methods that I’ll explain here.
The best thing about these methods is that they don’t require any additional equipment. You’ll only have to tweak a few settings to get going.
1. Using the Vizio SmartCast app
The Vizio SmartCast feature comes in handy when your TV remote is not working. To use it to control your TV:
- Launch Google PlayStore or Apple AppStore on your TV and search for Vizio SmartCast.
- Download and install the app.
- Launch the SmartCast, tap the control button located at the bottom of the homepage.
- Locate your TV from the list containing all Vizio devices. You should see a connection code.
- Input the connection code on your TV or phone, and If the pairing is successful, a remote-control menu will appear on your phone display.
The control menu on your phone is similar remote, meaning it is easy to control the TV.
You can also swipe to the left on the phone’s control menu to reveal the movement screen, which acts just like a directional pad.
2. Using an IR-enabled remote app
There are several IR (infrared) remote-control third-party apps in the market. Downloading one of them can easily enable you to regain control of your TV.
Unfortunately, most of these apps are unavailable for iPhone users.
Additionally, Android users whose phones don’t have an infrared scanner won’t have access to this feature.
But if your phone has the feature, continue to the steps below:
- Switch on your TV using the power button located either at the back or sides of your TV
- Launch the Google Play Store on your phone and search for any IR remote control app you can download. Some great options include Galaxy universal remote, TV Remote for Vizio SmartCast, and Remote for Vizio TV.
- Install and launch your preferred app among the three.
- Tap on the app’s Control Center to reveal a list of electronics within range of being controlled with the remote.
- Locate your TV from the list and click on it to request a connection.
- Input the code that will have been presented on your TV display and wait for the pairing to be successful.
- Locate the TV menu and click on it to open.
- Click on Home Network.
- Select your Wi-Fi network, click on it, and then enter your details to connect.
If none of these methods works, you might need to use an Ethernet cable to connect to Wi-Fi. Once you have the cable, proceed as follows:
- Check the back of your Vizio TV to confirm that it comes with an Ethernet port.
- Confirm that your router also comes fitted with an Ethernet port.
- Move the router as close to the TV as possible so that you can connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the TV and the other end to the router.
- Switch on the TV using the power button on either the side or the back of the TV.
- Press the menu button, which is located next to the power button.
- Navigate the TV using the different buttons at the back until you locate the Home network, then click on it.
- A pop-up will appear asking you which connection type you prefer; click Wired Network
- At this point, your TV should be connected to the internet.