Using Amazon Prime on Roku is a perfect definition of virtual borderless in terms of the viewing experience. However, one of the major frustrations when using Amazon Prime on Roku is the app crashing.
When Amazon Prime Video doesn’t work on Roku, it usually displays an error accompanied by the message ‘Something went wrong, please try again.”
Fortunately, you can fix the problem using the steps we’ve provided here.
Reasons why the Prime App is not working on Roku
Some of the reasons why you are experiencing the problem include;
- An inactive Amazon Prime account
- The Amazon Prime app isn’t up to date
- Unstable internet connection
How to fix Amazon Prime Video App on Roku
The following are some of the solutions to fix the Amazon Prime app on Roku.
Solution #1: Check whether your Amazon Video account is active or not
If your Amazon Prime Video isn’t working, the first thing you should check is whether your account is active or not.
Like other high-end streaming options, Amazon Prime requires an active subscription.
In order to check whether your account is active, follow this procedure:
- Go to ‘Your Account’ on Amazon.
- If it is your first time, then check ‘Free trial.’
- For subsequent subscription, click on ‘Account details.’
- If the account is not active, activate it by paying a monthly or yearly premium.
Solution #2: Update Amazon Prime on Roku
Another way to solve Amazon Prime not working on Roku is by updating the Prime video app. Although you can still enjoy thousands of shows on Amazon with outdated apps, there is no guarantee of the app not crashing.
In order to update your video app, you should follow these steps:
- On your Roku remote control, press the ‘Home’ option.
- To get to the Channel store, select channels using the left menu.
- Search Amazon prime video app and click ‘Update.’
The update time depends on how big the files are, and, more importantly, the stability of your home internet connection.
The standard time to update the video app is, however, less than five minutes.
Solution #3: Reboot Roku
Sometimes, the Amazon Prime video app fails to work due to Roku’s misconfigurations. If the Amazon prime isn’t working, you should follow these instructions to reboot Roku.
- Press the ‘Home’ option on your remote control five times.
- Follow the above step by pressing the ‘Up’ button once.
- On your remote, select, and press the ‘Rewind’ option twice.
- Finally, select and press ‘Fast Forward’ to reboot.
After rebooting, you will wait for a few seconds to see the boot animation on your screen. After the rebooting process, the app should not crash again.
Solution #4: Restart your router
In order to watch Amazon Prime on Roku, the internet connection must be stable. Slow internet may contribute to the prime video app not working on Roku.
The following are some steps to follow when restarting your internet router.
- Unplug the power code from the router.
- Wait for 30 seconds to reconnect the router.
- Wait for two minutes for the reset to be complete.
- After restarting your router, you should be able to watch your favorite show on Amazon Prime.
The four solutions to fixing the Amazon Prime video app are easy to follow and implement.
In case the app is not working after the four steps, you should contact Amazon Prime support for further guidance.