Narration or audio description is a television feature that provides information regarding key elements of a television program by reading out the captions on the screen.
The feature allows visually impaired individuals and those who find it challenging to understand text content to follow TV programs easily.
Also known as voice guidance, the narration feature uses text-to-speech technology. It is saved differently in different television models that support it.
The Vizio smart television has it as the Talk Back feature.
This article explains how to turn off narration on your Vizio Smart TV if you accidentally turn it on.
Why is my Vizio TV narrating?
If you keep hearing narration on your Vizio TV, it may be because you have activated the Talk Back feature.
In 2017, the Vizio Company began adding advanced accessibility tools to its televisions. That included a feature that would aid persons with visual and hearing impairments.
One of the features introduced was Talk Back, which only works with text that the television can display on its own, including menu items.
Like any other audio description capability, Vizio TV narration does not work with connected devices such as satellite boxes, cables, or streaming applications like Netflix.
If you accidentally turn on the Talk Back feature, you will have voice guidance on every program that supports the feature. Fortunately, not all television programs have audio description enabled.
How to turn off the narrator
To turn off the voice narrator (Talk Back) feature on Vizio TV:
- Power on the TV and press the MENU button on your Vizio remote
- Use the arrow buttons to highlight the System option and press the ENTER button to select
- Use the arrow buttons to scroll down to the Accessibility option. Press ENTER to display all the accessibility features available
- Scroll down to the Talk Back feature and set it to OFF.
- Press the EXIT button to save the changes
The Vizio narrator does not turn off! What should I do?
If the Vizio TV menu is working but you cannot turn off the audio description from the TV menu, the issue could be from another source or input.
When your set is connected to a cable box or satellite, troubleshoot, check if they are the cause.
If the problem is with the TV, you may need to reset it to default using these steps:
- Press the menu button on your Vizio remote and select System
- Highlight the Reset & Admin option and press OK
- Select Reset TV to Factory Settings. Press OK
- Wait for the television to restart.
- Proceed to check whether the narrator is turned off
Resetting the TV removes all customized settings. You will need to add them afresh.
In case you are having a challenge locating the Accessibility feature in the System function, check under the Settings option.
If you still have a challenge or are unsure how to do this, you can check the TV’s user manual for guidance or contact your vendor to take you through the process.