When it comes to Smart TVs, Vizio is one of the most popular brands out there. This is because they provide a range of affordable 4K Smart TVs.
However, one issue that has bothered Vizio TV users for a while is installing apps. While some cannot access the Vizio TV store, others complain that their favorite apps aren’t available on the TV.
This guide will show you how to search for and add apps to Vizio Smart TV, SmartCast, or Apple AirPlay. SmartCast is a service that is used to cast your phone to the TV while Apple AirPlay enables the casting of your iPhone to the TV.
These services enable you to access Android and iOS respectively right on your TV.
How to add apps to Vizio TV
You need a working internet connection and a Vizio remote to carry out this step. Once you have them in place, follow these steps:
- Power on your TV and press V on your Vizio remote
- Select Yahoo TV store or CTV store using the arrow keys on your remote
- Press OK to launch the app store
- Search for your preferred app and press OK
- Select Install App using your arrow keys and press OK
Every TV has a content store that you can get apps from and Vizio uses the two mentioned above. The issue with these stores is that they don’t have many apps like Android TV, LG TV, or others.
However, Vizio has a way of bypassing this problem. This involves the use of SmartCast and Apple AirPlay.
To use SmartCast on your Vizio TV:
- On your smartphone or tablet, launch the app store
- Search for Vizio SmartCast Mobile and tap to install
- Wait for the download to finish
- Launch the app
- Press the three lateral bars at the top left side of the tablet
- Scroll down and select ‘Setup New Device’
- Click Get Started
- Select your preferred language
- Move your smartphone or tablet to the lower-left corner of your TV
- On the list of devices that appear on your smartphone, select your TV model
- Enter the code that shows on your TV to pair the two devices
- Your TV might need an update. Click to update and will reboot after the update
You should now be able to use SmartCast. If your TV has a coaxial port tuner, you will be asked to perform a channel scan. If not, you will have to accept the terms and services provided on the next page. That’s it, you can now control your TV via SmartCast.
This method also works perfectly if you don’t have the new Vizio remote.
Using Apple AirPlay
Since Vizio supports AirPlay, you can view photos or stream videos from your iPhone to your Vizio TV. In addition, you can mirror your iPhone’s screen to your TV easily.
Follow these steps to connect your Vizio TV to an iPhone through AirPlay and get to use iOS apps on your TV.
- Connect your Vizio TV and iPhone or iPad to the same network
- Open any app you would like to cast on your iOS device
- Find and tap the Apple AirPlay icon
- Select your Vizio TV from the list of devices
- Wait for the content to be displayed on your TV
Anytime you click the AirPlay icon, your Vizio TV will appear among the available options.
You can now view photos from your iPhone or iPad or share presentations from your laptop.
How to update Vizio TV firmware
One way to ensure your Vizio TV is compatible with the latest apps in the app store is by updating its firmware version.
Follow these steps to update the firmware:
- Press Menu on your remote
- Scroll down to System. Click on it
- Select Check for Updates
- A prompt appears asking “Do you want to check for updates”
- Click Enter and wait for the update to install
You should now be running the latest version of your Vizio firmware.
Installing apps on your Vizio TV should be a simple process. If you are encountering any errors or having difficulties downloading new apps, lets us know in the comments.