Are you wondering how to access the LG Smart TV service menu? Then, you have come to the right place!
Most TV models come with a service menu, also known as a hidden or secret menu. The menu opens an engineering mode, which users with advanced knowledge can use to run certain hidden functions or diagnose TV issues.
Unfortunately, the service menu is hidden and not common knowledge to most people. This is because some of the menu functions can cause problems with the TV or even damage it. But worry not! By pressing certain buttons in the correct sequence on your remote, you can enter the service menu.
Below, we will look at the combination of buttons you need to activate the LG hidden menu. We will also look at various codes that you might need to run some routines in the secret menu.
How to access the LG service menu using the original remote?
The procedure to get to the service menu on an LG TV is different based on the remote control you are using. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to do it using the LG original remote control:
- Ensure that you are using your original remote – you will have a better chance of getting to the hidden menu than using universal or third-party remotes.
- Switch the input source on your LG TV to TV and select one of the channels – other input modes might work, but TV has better chances.
- Press and hold the “MENU” button on the remote control and the LG TV menu button on the TV panel. Depending on your TV model, you might have to replace the “MENU” button with “HOME”, “SETTINGS”, or even the “OK” button for the remote.
- Release the buttons once the menu appears on the TV screen. For example, some TV models might ask you for a password.
- The password code 0000 will work with most TVs. If it doesn’t, you can try other codes such as 7777, 0413, 8743, 8878, or 8741.
- Once you have entered the correct password, you will gain access to the service menu, and you can make changes as desired.
NOTE: Before making changes in the LG hidden menu, note down the initial settings. In the event of any problems, you can restore the default settings.
How to access the LG TV service menu using the magic remote
What if you are using the magic remote? Can you access the service menu?
LG magic remote is a smart remote control that offers universal remote functions and several other added features. These include mouse-like control, voice command, click wheel function, auto-detection for devices, and more.
Here’s how you can use the magic remote to access the hidden LG TV settings menu:
- With your TV on the press, the green button with three dots blinks rapidly about seven or eight times to display resolution overlay information.
- Press the mute button three times to bring up a quick information menu
- Hover the cursor over program tuning and press the “1” button on the remote five times to bring the stats menu
- Hover the cursor over the channel tuning and press “1” five times for HDMI diagnostic menu
Aside from these menu options, you can try the hidden menu sequence for the original remote to see if it will work with your magic remote.
How to use the service menu
The LG service menu allows you to access several functions that otherwise remain hidden. For example, you can access network settings, perform a factory reset or even run a diagnostic on your LG TV.
Below is a detailed look at some of these features.
Factory reset on LG service menu
To factory reset your LG TV from the service menu, follow the steps below:
- First, use your original remote control to launch the TV into the service menu.
- Go to the “Public Display Settings” option.
- Scroll down the display settings until you reach the “Factory Reset” option.
- Press the “OK” button and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reset.
Change network settings on the LG TV service menu.
To access the network settings on your LG Smart TV using the service menu, follow the steps below:
- Launch the service menu using your original LG remote control.
- Go to “IP Control Set UP” from the menu options and make your desired changes.
If using a magic remote, you can access the hidden network settings using the steps below:
- Launch the standard settings menu on your TV.
- Go to “Network Settings” and press OK.
- When the network settings screen comes up, press the code 82888 on your remote to launch the hidden IP Control Set Up options.
The secret service menu on your LG TV is primarily reserved for technicians when testing or repairing TV sets. However, with the information above, you can access advanced features that are not offered by the standard menu settings.
For example, you can run diagnostics, access advanced network, picture, and sound settings, and even execute factory reset.
However, before accessing the service menu, you should note that running some of the routines can cause software glitches on your TV. As such, it is possible to damage your TV and even void the warranty.
Therefore, you should take caution not to perform any unknown routines. If possible, make sure to save (by noting down or taking a picture) the current settings so that you can restore them if something happens.
More about LG TVs