You need to update your Panasonic TV software in order to get to the latest features and eliminate existing bugs.
However, you may experience issues with your TV during or after the software update. For example, you may encounter a problem whereby your Panasonic TV software update is not working.
Also, you may find that your TV keeps switching itself on and off even after updating the software. So, how do you deal with the software update issue?
How to download a Panasonic TV firmware
To download Panasonic TV firmware:
- Create a temporary folder on your computer for downloading the firmware file.
- Go to the Panasonic download site to download the .zip file.
- You must agree to the License Agreement displayed on the site before downloading.
- Press the download button and save the firmware in the folder you created.
After downloading the file, it should be ready to install.
NOTE: Custom firmware for a Panasonic TV comes in a compressed folder. Therefore, you must double-click the downloaded file to decompress it once you download it. You’ll also need a USB flash drive to install the OS.
How to manually update your Panasonic TV OS?
Now that you’ve downloaded the firmware, the next step is to install it and manually update your Panasonic TV OS. Here is what to do:
- Insert a USB flash drive into your computer and format it.
- Copy the Panasonic firmware to the USB drive.
- Turn on your Panasonic TV.
- Insert the USB drive into the USB 1 port of your Panasonic TV.
- A System Update message on the screen verifying the downloaded file will be displayed.
- During the verification, do not remove the flash drive.
- Press the OK button on your remote to start the download.
- Select Yes and press the OK button.
- Do not turn off the TV or remove the media until the download is 100% complete.
When the update is complete, a screen will display instructing you to:
- Remove the USB flash memory from the TV.
- Turn the TV off at the main power switch.
- Turn the TV back on at the main power switch.
A black screen will appear for a few seconds. Then, the download will finish, and the TV should start as usual. You can now confirm the new version of the system software.
How to update a Panasonic Android TV
To update the Android OS on your Panasonic TV, follow the steps below:
- Press the Home button from the Panasonic TV remote.
- Select the Setting option at the top right corner of the TV.
- Go to Device Preference.
- Select About.
- At the About section, select System Update.
- Your Panasonic TV will automatically search for the system update on the server.
During the system update, connect your TV to the fastest and most stable internet connection. The internet speed should be at least 10Mbps.
Ensure there is an uninterrupted power supply, too.
How long does a smart TV software update take?
Typically, it takes between 15 and 30 minutes to complete a software update on most Smart TVs. During this time, you cannot use your TV.
Your TV will automatically reboot after the update. Avoid disconnecting it from the power source or turning it off during the update.
In the case of Panasonic, it will take a minimum of ten minutes to update software on a Panasonic TV. However, the process may take longer depending on factors like your internet connection and speed.
Furthermore, things that may delay the update include server errors that prevent the software from downloading properly from the Panasonic update website and the number of updates.
But the update should download as long as the progress bar continues moving towards 100%.
How to check your Panasonic TV software version
Panasonic only recommends updating the software on your Smart TV if the current firmware version is older than the manufacturer’s version.
You can check on your TV’s current version by doing the following:
- Turn ON your Panasonic Smart TV.
- Press the Menu button on the remote to display the Main Menu.
- Select Setup.
- Press OK.
- Scroll down to About. You will find the option on the next page.
- Under the Setup Menu, select About.
- Select Version.
- Press OK.
- Confirm Software Version.
At this stage, if the software version displayed on your Panasonic TV is older than what the manufacturer offers, you must update it. Check under the TV headline to confirm the software version.
Why your Panasonic TV software update is not working
When your Panasonic TV software update is not working, you may not know the immediate cause of the problem. You must go through several troubleshooting steps to ensure the software works again.
Here is what to do.
1. Restart your Panasonic TV
Restart your Panasonic TV at least three times if the update fails. The restart will help clear any temporary issues causing the update to fail.
Switch the set on and off at least three times and try again.
2. Check your internet connection
If you want to update Android on your Panasonic TV, ensure you connect your TV to the internet and that the connection is stable.
A weak or unstable internet connection can cause the software update to fail. The minimum recommended speed is 10Mbps.
3. Check if you downloaded the correct file
You can manually update your Panasonic TV by downloading and installing the firmware via the USB port. Make sure that the file you downloaded is compatible with your device.
Generally, incompatibility may occur depending on your region. In other words, software updates for Panasonic devices released in North America and Europe differ from those released in the Middle East and Africa.
4. Reset your Panasonic TV
The steps to reset a Panasonic TV will depend on the firmware. In other words, resetting your Panasonic Android TV is different from resetting your Panasonic Smart TV.
How to reset Panasonic Android TV
- Press the Home button from the TV remote.
- Select Settings.
- Go to Device Preference or About.
- Select Reset.
- Select Erase everything to do the complete TV Factory Reset.
How to reset Panasonic Smart TV
- Press the Power button on the remote.
- Press the Menu button.
- Select Setup.
- Go to Shipping Condition.
- Select OK.
- When you see a confirmation screen, select YES and press OK to set.
- Depending on your model, you can also go to Settings > Device & Preference > Reset.
Resetting will erase all data on your TV to its factory condition. You will then have to install the software again and see if it corrects the problem.
5. Wait for the update to complete
Sometimes, the software update can take longer to complete than expected. Consider waiting for the update to finish before attempting to use your TV again.
Unless the progress bar is 100% and a confirmation message suggests the installation is complete, do not do anything to your TV.
6. Contact Panasonic support
If you have tried all solutions and still cannot update your TV software, contact Panasonic support or the Global Service Centre Network for assistance.
The experts will provide additional troubleshooting steps on how to fix the problem.
Have your say
What other solutions do you use when your Panasonic TV software update is not working?