MOV is a popular multimedia format used to store video and audio content such as movies and music. It was created by Apple and serves as the default format for Mac computers and iOS devices such as iPads and iPhones.
While you have endless options for viewing most video, text, and audio content from your Windows 10 device, you may need specific video player software to view your .MOV files. Some of the programs you can use include:
QuickTime is designed to play MOV files by default as well as various other file formats. It is the equivalent of Windows Media Player on the macOS. Most Mac users play MOV videos and audio using this software.
So, can you play MOV files in QuickTime on Windows 10? Of course. You will need to download QuickTime for Windows 10 and install it first then play MOV files through these steps:
- Identify the MOV file you wish to open
- Right-click on it and choose Open With QuickTime Player
- Wait for it to load and play the file
- On your computer, go to Start Menu > Programs and scroll down to the QuickTime application
- Click on it to open the software
- On QuickTime, go to File > Open. Browse and choose the MOV file you wish to play
Aside from QuickTime being a MOV file player, it also allows you to edit the files. For example, you can use the program to convert the files to other formats such as MP4.
Can you play MOV files on Windows Media Player?
Although Windows Media Player comes installed on your PC, most versions are not compatible with MOV content, except version 12. You can check the version by:
- Open the WMP app and press Alt + H
- Choose About Windows Media Player from the list
- If your version starts with a 12, it can play the MOV files, otherwise, you will need to update it or use another compatible tool.
If the application is compatible, then:
- Go to File > Open
- Identify the MOV file and click to open
- You can also open the file from your computer if you right-click on it, select Open With, and choose Windows Media Player
If you cannot upgrade to an earlier version of Windows Media Player, try installing the MOV codec for Windows 10 that allows you to play the files.
Using VLC Media Player
VLC Media player is an open-source program that supports a wide array of audio and video file formats in Windows, Mac, and Linux, including MOV. The program also allows you to convert file formats while preserving the quality.
To play MOV files using VLC:
- Download VLC, install and open the program
- Click on Media > Open File to start playing it
You can also use it as a MOV to MP4 converter as follows:
- Open the program and go to Menu > Convert or Save
- Select Add and choose the MOV file you wish to convert
- Select a destination folder and the new name of your file in the Target File section
- Go to Profile and choose your renamed file
- Hit the start button to start converting it. You can play the file once the process is completed.
You can also use several other reliable conversion programs to change your file to a format that is easy to play.
Installing a codec pack
Another way of playing your MOV files on Windows 10 is by downloading and installing the missing codecs.
Some of the common codecs used by most people include CCCP and K-Lite. However, you must note that codec packs are not always 100 percent safe for your device.
You can also try a most efficient method of converting MOV files to Windows Media Player compatible formats such as MP4 and MP3. These formats are often ideal because they are compatible with almost all video and audio players.
The best way to play MOV files on Windows 10 is by using QuickTime, Windows Media Player, or VLC player. If you are using Windows Media Player, make sure that it is version 12 or later.