Hulu is home to some of the biggest shows to ever grace TV -Game of Thrones and The Sopranos. This is alongside other original products as well as programs licensed from ABC and Fox, among other media powerhouses.
It can, therefore, be frustrating if Hulu is not working just when you are about to binge on your favorite shows.
However, the good news is that you can easily identify and troubleshoot the problem by yourself.
How to fix Hulu not working
Here we take a look at the problems that cause Hulu to stop working and how to troubleshoot them.
Hulu not logging in or unable to start
Are you not able to log into Hulu? Well, it could be that you are entering the wrong password. If you are using the account with another person, they could have changed the password.
You can reset your password and regain access to your account by visiting this page.
If neither of the above is the case, the Hulu server could be down and you might have to contact support.
Hulu stuck on the loading screen
This is one of the most common errors that many people are experiencing on the Hulu app as well as the website. This playback error occurs when the app or device you are using is unable to communicate with Hulu servers.
This issue could be caused by a poor network, problematic plugins, outdated device software, or Hulu servers.
Solutions for these problems include:
- Internet connection: Restart your router or device. If it still doesn’t work, restart your device or switch to a wired connection. Try streaming Hulu from another device to determine if the issue is device-specific.
- Hulu server outage: When Hulu is unable to start due to a server outage there is nothing much you can do about it. Visit their Twitter page for news about server errors and outages. You can also visit downdetector.com to find out if other people are experiencing a similar problem.
- Device software: When Hulu is out of date, you might have problems watching content. Go to the app store of the specific device you are using to update the app. If you are using a web browser, Hulu should be up to date, therefore, update your browser. You should also disable adblockers and other plugins that could be hindering playback.
Hulu Live keeps buffering
If Hulu keeps buffering or pausing while streaming, the reasons behind the error could be issues with the application, an outdated system, poor internet speed, or an issue with plugins.
- Disable plugins and extensions: If you are streaming on a web browser and using plugins such as an ad blocker, make sure to disable them first. Try disabling other plugins too while refreshing the connection each time.
- Application configuration errors: Some files that are essential to streaming might not have loaded properly. Close the application completely (make sure it isn’t running in the background) before you restart it. If this doesn’t work, restart the app.
- Internet connection issues: A slow or fluctuating internet connection could be causing Hulu to buffer continuously. This occurs when it attempts to play at a higher resolution but the video cannot load. Switch to a lower resolution (SD at 1.5 Mbps) or HD at 720p for a 3 Mbps connection. Go to fast.com to check your internet connection speed before you decide the best streaming quality.
- Outdated app: Update your Hulu app or the firmware of the device you are using to stop buffering.
Hulu not showing episodes
This is a bug that occurs on specific shows for some people. It causes Hulu to fail to display how many episodes are available on a specific show. This makes it hard to select an episode to watch.
Luckily, the problem is easy to solve since all you need is to update your app or browser. In some instances, closing the app and then restarting it works.
Video not available in this location
When a video won’t load on Hulu and instead a message occurs showing “Video not available in this location”, the problem has everything to do with content licensing.
If you are using a browser, you might encounter a “page not found” error. Hulu aggregates show from different production studios and some of them may impose a regional or country ban for Hulu.
While Hulu wants all its subscribers to enjoy their shows from anywhere, these restrictions make it impossible. Unfortunately, there isn’t a legal way to bypass this error.
While some publications might suggest that you use a VPN, beware that you might be infringing copyright laws that govern streaming content on Hulu.
Fix Hulu app not working or keeps crashing
The Hulu app for Android or iOS might stop working mostly due to cache build-up, poor internet connection speeds, or incompetent hardware.
In some cases, Hulu not working error could result because of a service outage. If it is due to the latter, there is nothing you can do about it except wait.
However, if the app isn’t working or keeps crashing but there isn’t a service outage, try out the following solutions:
- Clear cache on Android: To clear the Hulu app cache on Android, go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Hulu > Clear Cache.
- Clear cache on iPhone or iPad: iOS users can clear Hulu cache by navigating to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Hulu > Delete App. Go to the App Store and reinstall it.
- Internet connection settings: Disconnect then reconnect your internet connection. If this doesn’t solve the issue switch to a faster connection.
- Hardware issue: Your iPhone, iPad, or Android device might have low memory or poor screen resolution which can cause it to lag while streaming. The error may also occur if you are streaming in HD on a Smart TV with low memory. In some instances, the app will crash completely. The only solution to this problem is to upgrade your device.
Hulu Plus shows not available
When shows disappear on Hulu and you are met with errors like “unavailable try again later”, it could be due to one or more of the following issues:
- Problem with your device: If you are using an older version of the Hulu app, this error can occur. Alternatively, it could be due to a caching issue. Clear the cache on your device or uninstall then reinstall the app.
- Program availability issue: Hulu videos not playing or Live TV not working may be due to regional restrictions or blackouts of the service in your area.
- Expiration: If the shows were previously available, it could be an expiration of the Hulu Plus service. Check notifications on your mail or contact Hulu to find out.
Hopefully, you have managed to fix the error you were experiencing with these troubleshooting tips. If you are still experiencing streaming issues on your device, check out these other guides for specific problems:
- Fix Hulu closed captions aren’t working
- Fix Hulu shows black screen after ads
- How to fix Hulu keeps logging you out
If you have any other tips on issues with Hulu, let us know in the comments!
1 thought on “Troubleshoot Hulu not working on Roku, Firestick, PS or Smart TV”
My Hulu freezes at least 3 times per week on only one TV, all the other TVs are fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, cleared cache and data. The speed is 10mbps. I saw how to fix this using my remote, by pressing certain buttons. It worked for about a week but now I can’t find the youtube video. Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone fixed the freezing issue using their remote? This is very frustrating, paying $65 per month and not being able to watch is getting pretty annoying 😡