Is your home or office Wi-Fi being shared across multiple devices?
Well, if you are using an old router, too many connections can overwork it, and some of your devices will keep losing connection.
Technically, most routers that are at least five years old can only handle up to three connections. Only a few can manage multiple connections simultaneously.
To avoid internet problems, you must use the best Wi-Fi router for multiple devices in your home or office.
A wireless router can only handle more traffic if it has many open channels to ensure a quick and smooth transfer of data in and out. But things can get a bit challenging when it comes to choosing the best Wi-Fi router for multiple devices.
That is because many of these units come fitted with complex technologies, features, and words like MU-MIMO and MIMO. If you are trying to find the best unit, there are certain things you should consider.
Things to consider when choosing a router for multiple devices
When on the market for the best router for multiple devices, you must pay attention to the following factors:
- Dual Band-Connectivity – The router should offer at least two radio bands of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. Such a device will allow you to surf the internet on the lowest band and stream movies on the highest band. Note that some have tri-band connectivity with one radio band of 2.4 GHz and two bands of 5 GHz.
- Quality of Service – A router for multiple devices and range with QoS means it can control and track the type of traffic a device in your home or office is using. Doing so will help you to determine which application needs better connectivity compared to the rest.
- Supported Technologies – Look for a unit that supports multiple technologies, including MIMO, beamforming, MU-MIMO, tri-band connectivity, and more. These technologies are crucial in ensuring the router can offer better signals and speed on all connected devices.
Best wireless routers for multiple devices
These are the best wireless routers for smart homes:
|Google Nest WiFi|
|400 Mbps (2.4 GHz)|
1,700 Mbps (5 GHz)
|TP-Link Deco M5|
| 400 Mbps (2.4 GHz)|
867 Mbps (5 GHz)
|NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S||750 Mbps (2.4 GHz)|
1625 Mbps (5 GHz)
|TP-Link Archer A20|| 750 Mbps (2.4 GHz)|
1625 Mbps (5 GHz)
|D-Link DIR-3040||400 Mbps (2.4 GHz)|
866 Mbps (5 GHz)
1733 Mbps (5 GHz)
1. Google Nest WiFi Router (3 pack) – best overall
The Google Nest WiFi Router provides fast and reliable wireless coverage within a specified area and is ideal for smart homes with multiple internet-enabled devices. It is a useful unit for homeowners that want to eliminate buffering issues on connected devices.
One thing that makes the Nest the best router for lots of devices is security. It comes with WPA3 encryption that makes it harder to crack Wi-Fi passwords. Despite its small physical size, the Nest can cover rooms of up to 2,200 square feet.
Some of the features that make it an ideal unit for your wireless needs include:
- Two Ethernet ports to double your internet throughput
- Wireless AC and MIMO Wi-Fi technologies
- 11ac connectivity with 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels
- 2×2 and 4X4 antennas and support for beamforming
- 4GHz Quad-core processor with 1GB MB RAM and 4 GB flash memory
- It allows for parental permissions so that parents can set schedules and manage screen times and restrict certain content
- It is easy to install and set up a network
- Offers better security through automatic updates to add new features
- It comes with a built-in Google Assistant voice technology
- The unit does not have a USB port
- You need a separate application to access advanced system settings
As a 4×4 AC2200 dual-band router for a home with multiple devices, the Google Nest WiFi can reach maximum data rates of up to 400Mbps on the 2.4GHz channel and over 1,700Mbps on the 5GHz channel.
2. TP-Link Deco M5 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi System (3-pack)
The TP-Link Deco M5 is a router that can bring a wireless internet connection to all corners of your house.
Unlike Wi-Fi extenders, the M5 is one of the top routers for multiple devices that offer better coverage, security, and loads of features. You can use it to connect more than 100 devices in a room as large as 5,500 square feet.
Its top features include:
- Adaptive routing technology that chooses the fastest route for all devices automatically
- Web-filtering and internet usage control options
- Quad-core CPU
- Two LAN/WAN Gigabit Ethernet Ports
- Four internal antennas
- 11 ac connectivity with 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz bands
- Signal rate of 400Mbps on 2.4GHz and 867Mbps on 5 GHz
- Its QoS helps to prioritize internet traffic for various applications
- Allows for flexible placement in a room to ensure better coverage
- Provides fast and stable internet connections with speeds reaching 1,267Mbps
- Easy to set up using the Deco app
- Does not have a dedicated backhaul band
- It lacks a web interface
The TP-Link Deco M5 Whole-Home Mesh Wi-Fi system is the best router to choose if you want a unit that features MU-MIMO technology, auto-path selection, beamforming, and WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK wireless security.
3. NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S Smart WiFi Router (R8000P)
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S makes this list of the best Wi-Fi router for multiple devices and gaming because of its better wireless speed, coverage, security, and features.
It is a unit that comes with AC400 Tri-band wireless speed of up to 4,000Mbps, which is more than that of its competitors. Also, it offers better connectivity to 55 devices in a room coverage of 3.500 square feet.
Its best features include:
- 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- 1 x 3.0 and 1 x 2.0 USB ports
- Dual-core 1.8GHz processor
- Six amplified antennas
- MU-MIMO, beamforming, and Smart Connect technologies
- Amazon Alexa voice controls
- Its WPA2 wireless security protocols ensure safe and secure connections
- Its tri-band streaming helps to deliver fast and reliable Wi-Fi
- Ideal for heavy-duty activities like multi-player online gaming and 4K-UHD streaming
- Offers better QoS to minimize interference and maximize speed
- It does not isolate guest networks from private networks
- It tends to drop connections as you add more devices
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S is the ideal home router for you if you need something that offers excellent throughput on all channels and bands and has a better wireless range and signal strength.
4. TP-Link Archer A20 AC4000 Smart Wi-Fi Router
If you are looking for speed and power in a router that can handle many connections simultaneously, the TP-Link Archer A20 is worth considering. It is a device that delivers speeds of up over 700 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 1,600 Mbps on 5 GHz bands.
That means you can use it for heavy-duty activities like gaming and streaming 4K videos. The unit also has built-in network security tools to ensure safe and secure connections. Its top features include:
- 8 GHz 64-bit CPU, three co-processors, and 512 MB of RAM
- MU-MIMO technology for connecting more devices simultaneously
- Range boost technology for long-range coverage
- Four LAN and one WAN Gigabit ports
- 11a/b/g/n/ac, and 802.3ab connectivity
- It is easy to install the device, setup, and manage
- Offers fast speeds for file transfers
- It comes with better security features, including malicious content filtering and an intrusion prevention system
- Its QoS prioritizes devices and applications for faster performance
- Its throughput can slow down as more devices connect to the network
The TP-Link AC4000 is an excellent tri-band router that provides better throughput and fast file-transfer performance.
5. D-Link AC3000 Wi-Fi Router
The D-Link AC3000 is one of the best tri-band wireless routers for homeowners that want a unit that delivers fast throughput for multiple streaming devices, advanced malware protection, and mesh technology.
The router delivers speeds of up to 400 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz band and 866 + 1733 Mbps on each of the 5 GHz bands. Its fast speeds mean you can enjoy the best experience for gaming and HD streaming. You can also use it to connect up to four wired devices and have multiple devices connected using its MU-MIMO technology.
Some of its key features include:
- Advanced Wi-Fi Mesh
- Alexa voice assistant and Google Assistant
- High-power 880 MHz dual-core processor
- Built-in antivirus protection
- Tri-Band Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz-1, 5 GHz-2)
- 11a/b/g/n/ac connectivity
- It offers enhanced profile-based parental controls
- Easy to install and manage using the D-Link Wi-Fi app
- Offers a dynamic and future-ready mesh network and capabilities
- All its ports have a 1GB line rate to offer faster speeds
- Its mobile application and web interface have limited features to allow for better device management
If you want a router that can handle multiple devices and has optimizing features that make managing and configuring your mesh Wi-Fi easy, the D-Link AC3000 is what you need.