A modem router combo is a high-tech blend of both modem and router functions. A modem connects a device to the internet while the router extends the internet wirelessly to several other devices.
If you’ve owned each device separately before, then you know you had to deal with more cables and an increase in electricity costs. Besides, the rental fees for company-owned equipment can be quite a bother.
If you are tired of all this, then you should get an Xfinity-approved modem router combo that would give you more value and convenience.
However, it is important to know that not just every modem router combo can work for Xfinity. In addition, some work, but they don’t offer good service.
To help you avoid many rip-offs that have flooded the market today, I have tested and reviewed different devices to come up with a list of the best modem router combo for Xfinity.
But just before we get into the list, there are a couple of considerations to make.
Things to consider when choosing an Xfinity modem router
Here are the considerations you should make when looking out for the best router combo:
- Compatibility: The combo should be compatible with the Xfinity internet connection for it to function. Make sure to check on the label for compatibility.
- Internet speeds: Speed is a vital consideration. You should look out for combos with the fastest wireless protocols and high speeds for your unique needs.
- Range: Consider the size of your living space to help you decide the combo that will give you maximum internet coverage.
The best modem router combo for Xfinity in 2021
Here are the best modem router combos for use with Xfinity.
|ARRIS SURFboard SB8200||10000 Mbps||Yes|
|NETGEAR CM100||2000 Mbps||No||4|
|Motorola MB8600||1000 Mbps||No||1|
|NETGEAR CM400||100 Mbps||No||1|
1. ARRIS SURFboard-Approved SB8200
The ARRIS SURFboard-Approved SB8200 is the best router for Xfinity. The device is a combination of a powerful modem and a mesh network-enabled router that has the fastest internet speeds and integrates the latest technology.
Here is a list of its features:
- It is compatible with Xfinity and other major internet service providers.
- With 2-gigabit Ethernet ports, the modem can perform link aggregation and create two separate home networks from one modem.
- It is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem that provides bonding of 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels.
- The modem provides cable internet speeds of up to 1Gbps and download speeds of up to 10Gbps.
- It is compatible with any device that has a MESH network.
- It comes with an app named ARRIS SURFboard Manager that helps a user manage their home networks from their phone.
If you are looking for a high-quality modem that can provide you with high speeds and more value for your money, this product may just be the right fit for you.
2. NETGEAR Cable Modem Router Combo C7800
This is the best modem router combo for Comcast for a wide range of reasons. Not only is it compatible, but also comes with support for the latest technologies and has advanced security. It has a wide range of capabilities and features including:
- Certified by Xfinity by Comcast making it one of the top routers compatible with Xfinity.
- It provides internet coverage for up to 45 devices in a range of 3000 square feet making it the best Wi-Fi router for Xfinity.
- With 4 gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 USB ports, you can connect many devices including printers and computers.
- It is a DOCSIS 3.1 router that provides bonding of 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels.
- It provides speeds of up to 3.2 Gbps deeming it the best high-speed router for Xfinity.
- The device supports a VPN connection that allows a user to access their home network from anywhere.
- It comes with an app called the NETGEAR Nighthawk app that helps you control your internet network system.
- The router provides support for Wi-Fi 6 technology making it the best Wi-Fi router for Comcast users.
If you are looking for an Xfinity-compatible modem router combo that will allow for massive downloading and streaming capacity the NETGEAR Cable Modem Router Combo C7800 is the right product for you.
3. NETGEAR Cable Modem CM100
The NETGEAR Cable Modem CM100 is a powerful router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports that allows you to connect to multiple devices and create up to 4 separate networks at once. The router is capable of providing speeds of upto 2Gbps. Its unique features are:
- It is compatible with the Xfinity internet connection making it one of the best modem router for Xfinity.
- The combo can support a minimum of 32 devices.
- The modem-router comes with 4-gigabit Ethernet ports.
- It is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem that allows the bonding of 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels and OFDM 2×2 capabilities.
- It provides speeds of up to 2Gbps.
- The modem is QoS supported.
- Has IPv6 support.
- It comes with an app called the NETGEAR Nighthawk app that helps you control and monitor your internet network system.
If you are looking for a combo that can function effectively in medium spaces and require both internet and voice calls for networking, this modem ticks all the boxes.
4. Motorola Approved Comcast Gigablast MB8600
Here is a list of its impressive features:
- It is compatible with various internet service providers including Xfinity by Comcast.
- Has support for over 4 devices when attached to a router.
- It comes with a 1-gigabit Ethernet port.
- The modem is DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 supported providing 32 downstream and 8 upstream channel bonding.
- It provides a speed of 1Gbps.
- The modem through its top technology supports all devices.
- It is equipped with secure firewalls to protect your network from attacks.
If you are looking for the best Wi-Fi router for Comcast with extra security features, the Motorola Approved Comcast Gigablast MB8600 might just be the right product for you.
5. NETGEAR Wireless Spectrum Cablevision CM400
Its features are:
- Compatibility with major internet service providers including Xfinity by Comcast.
- It supports only one device but when combined with a router, it can support more devices.
- It comes with a 1-gigabit Ethernet port with auto-sense technology.
- DOCSIS 3.0 enabled: This enables 8 downstream and 4 upstream channel bonding.
- It provides speeds of up 100Mbps making it a top long-range wireless modem.
- Come equipped with WPS, WPA2, and WPA security features.
If you are looking for a modem that can fit in a small living space while providing high downloading speeds, this product will fulfill these needs effortlessly.
Is it better to have a separate modem and router?
You may think that getting a modem router combo is the best solution, but is it? To help you decide which is better between separate devices or a combo let’s look at their advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of separate modem and router
- Easy replacement: When either a modem or router breaks down, it is easy to replace one of the devices.
- Better features: Routers and modems that are not in a combo tend to have more features and customizable settings.
- Price: Each separate device is cheaper than a combo.
Disadvantages of separate modem and router
- The two devices are bulky and they can take up a lot of space making them an eyesore in your home.
- They may require several cables and power outlets to activate the home network.
Advantages of a combo
- Space: The combo takes up less space and would require only one power outlet and fewer cables.
- Setup process: It is easy to set up as it is only one machine
- Customer support and extra features: You are privy to customer support and extra features from your ISP.
Disadvantages of a combo
- Difficult replacement: When the combo breaks down, you may find it difficult to replace it due to its high price.
- Troubleshooting: It may be difficult to diagnose and maintain it without your ISP support.
Overall, the advantages of separating a router and modem outweigh the disadvantages. However, the ability to control your home network better makes it an easy choice.
However, if you are looking to save on space and finding convenience, then a combo would be the right choice.
With the increased need for high-speed internet, there are many internet service providers as well as modem router combos in the market. However, in this guide, you will find the best modem router combo for Xfinity.
With the particular ISP in mind, the named products will provide the best internet connectivity services you can come across. Find the right fit for you and enjoy high-speed flowing internet for all your needs.