Redbox was the go-to store for Blu-ray and DVD rentals of popular films. Many will remember its bright red kiosks that were in almost every neighbourhood and convenience store.
However, with technological advancement, not many (if any) still watch DVDs and Blu-ray. That’s why Redbox is now rebranding to become an online on-demand streaming site.
Unlike other streaming sites like Netflix, Redbox doesn’t work with subscriptions. Instead, it allows its users to rent, buy, or stream their favourite movies for only a few dollars.
You can access the service through Redbox’s official website, streaming devices and Smart TVs. Additionally, there are some movies that you can watch on demand for free.
How to watch Redbox On Demand through a laptop
To watch movies through Redbox On Demand:
- Search for Redbox On Demand through your preferred browser.
- Select from the three categories on the home page: Theatrical home releases, trending now, and new movies to rent. You can also search for the movie you want by name or genre.
- Right-click on your preferred movie and choose whether you want to rent On Demand, buy a physical copy, or get a digital copy.
- Choose whether you want the HD (high definition) version or the SD (standard definition) version.
- Log into your Redbox account or open an account and enter your payment details.
- The amount will be automatically deducted from your card, and you’ll now be able to access to the movie/series/etc.
How to watch Redbox On Demand on a mobile app
To watch Redbox from a mobile app:
- Download the Redbox app from either Google Play for Android or App Store for iOS users.
- Open an account or log in to your account if you already have one.
- Check the top right corner of the app for the Watch free icon and tap on it.
- You can either watch the On Demand movies that are free or opt to watch free live TV.
- Look for movies you want to rent or buy and pay for them. You will have to choose a physical location where you would like to pick the DVD or Blu-ray.
Additional information about Redbox On Demand
You need to know the following:
- If you buy or rent a TV show, it does not come with all the seasons; each one is priced separately. Therefore, choose the exact season you want before paying.
- You have 30 days to start streaming a rented movie, or it will disappear from your library.
- Once you start watching a rented movie or TV show, you have 48 hours to complete it before it is removed from your library. However, you can re-watch the movie/TV show as often as you want during those 48 hours.
- Some movies don’t have the rent option. You have to buy them if you want to watch them.
- If you rent a movie, you can only stream it on the one device you started streaming from. However, if you buy a movie, you can stream it on five different devices. For example, if you watched a show on your phone and decided to pause at episode 2, you can resume watching on your TV from episode two.