There are several ways to connect a smartphone to a Vizio Smart TV. I’ll explain each of them in detail so you can use what works best for you.
You can connect your smartphone to Vizio TV using a USB or HDMI cable. You can also connect it wirelessly through AirPlay.
If you intend to use a USB cable, make sure you have one that is compatible with your TV. The same goes for HDMI cables, in addition to the need for an adapter. As for AirPlay, you have to confirm that your TV supports the feature.
Method 1: Use a USB cable
One of the most convenient ways to connect your phone to the TV is through your USB cable. In most scenarios, the cable you use to charge your phone will work fine. This is unless your cable is only designed for charging.
Follow these steps to connect your Vizio TV to a phone using a USB cable:
- Connect the USB cable to your TV.
- Connect the other end to your phone.
- A pop-up will immediately appear, asking whether you want to use the cable as a charger or transfer documents. Click on Transfer documents.
- You can now share documents from your phone directly to the TV, share the display screen contents, and so forth.
Method 2: Using Airplay
You don’t need to download any third-party app to connect the phone to your TV if you have an iPhone.
This is because iPhones have Airplay – a feature that allows you to cast anything on your phone to the TV display in a few minutes.
We’ve previously covered the process of using AirPlay with a Vizio TV to stream content from your phone.
To connect your phone to a Vizio TV using AirPlay:
- Switch on your TV, then press the Home button on the remote.
- Navigate to the Extras tab on the top right of the screen and click on it.
- Scroll down to find Airplay, then click on it.
- Toggle AirPlay to the ON position.
- On your phone, open the media that you want to display on your TV.
- Tap on the Share icon, that’s typically depicted as a box with an upwards arrow facing up.
- Tap AirPlay. A list of all devices that can pair with your phone will now appear on the screen.
- Find your TV from the list, then tap on it.
- A four-digit code will appear on your TV display. Input the code onto your phone to pair it with your TV.
Have you tried using this method without success? Our previous guide on AirPlay troubleshooting tips for Vizio TVs should help you identify and fix the issue. Make sure to check it out.
Method 3: Using an HDMI cable
An HDMI cable is also an alternative way of connecting your phone to your Vizio smart TV.
The advantage of using a HDMI is there is no need to download any third-party app and it can cast a lot more media content than the other methods.
Here is how to go about it:
- Get an HDMI cable that allows media transfer and also an adapter for connecting to a phone such as the Masaya adapter.
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to the TV and another end to the adapter
- Connect your phone to the remaining end of the adapter
- Once the notification pops up on your phone asking whether you want to connect your phone to the TV, press Allow
You should now be able to share content between your phone and Vizio Smart TV.
Frequently asked questions
These are the most commonly asked questions about connecting a smartphone to a Vizio TV.
I can’t find my TV in the list of available devices when trying to pair my phone and TV via the Vizio Smart Cast app. What could be the issue?
For the pairing to be successful, you need to connect your TV and mobile phone to the same Wi-Fi network.
Do all Vizio smart TVs come with an HDMI port?
Yes, they do. All Vizio smart TVs come fitted with an HDMI port at the back or the sides of the TV.