Since Roku TVs don’t support Bluetooth, you cannot connect AirPods to a Roku TV directly. We’ll, however, show you an alternative method that works.
You cannot connect AirPods to a Roku TV, not because of a malfunction, but because Roku TVs do not have a built-in Bluetooth feature.
This problem affects not only AirPods but any other headphone or device that relies on Bluetooth for connectivity. But there is a workaround that you can apply easily.
How to connect AirPods to a Roku TV through an app
You can connect your AirPods to Roku TV through the Roku app. This is possible due to the Private Listening feature in the app.
The method works for most Roku TVs, including TCL Roku TV models.
- Launch the App Store, then download and install the Roku app to your iPhone.
- Connect AirPods to your iPhone.
- Launch the Roku app.
- Tap on the Remote icon.
- Tap Devices on the prompt that pops up.
- To allow your iPhone access to local devices, tap
- On the list of local devices, select your Roku device.
- Tap the Remote icon and then tap on the Headphones icon below the purple button.
Your AirPods should be paired with the Roku TV at this point. By tapping the headphones, you have enabled Private Listening, meaning you should be able to hear sound in your headphones.
If you’d want to turn off Private Listening, tap the Headphones icon.
Why did the Private Listening mode not activate?
I’ve come across several concerns that the Private Listening mode doesn’t enable in some devices despite connecting the remote app to a Roku device.
From my experience, the problem can occur due to these issues:
- Your phone and Roku TV may be on different networks: Remember that both devices need to be on the same Wi-Fi network for them to connect.
- You are using outdated apps: Update your Roku remote app and the Roku operating system on your TV. This helps to avoid bugs that may be hindering your connection.